This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service from an affiliate such as Amazon after clicking a link on this website, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
On this page, you’ll find a list of 5 of the best portable toolboxes currently for sale on Amazon. The list is regularly and automatically updated with the items displayed in order of popularity, starting with the No1 bestseller.
- ✅Topchest & Rollcab Combination including 6 Drawer with 360°swivel Ball Bearing Runners
- ✅The top tool chest is lockable to help keep your belongings safe
- ✅Made from high power coated metal frame with a glossy paint finish to protect against rust
- Detachable top tool box unit with small parts storage on top
- Bottom bin with large 7 inches wheels
- Pull handle on top allows to conveniently manoeuvre
- Complete mobile solution for large and small tools and accessories
- 19 Inch Detachable plastic tool box with drawer
- Aluminium telescopic handle allows easy manoeuvrability
- Small and compact storage coupled with the design and durability of a top chest.
- Features Tough composite top handle, smooth ball bearing drawer slides and steel locking Hasp which can be locked using a padlock (not included).
- Overall Size (W x D x H): 360 x 230 x 230mm.
- 【High-Quality Material】This tool box is made of engineering grade plastics: Enhance toughness and increase durability. And this Lockable DIY Tool Storage Chest will keep your hand tools safe.
- 【Specification】Dimensions of 12.5-inch Tool Storage Boxes is parts storage box: transparent plastic, small parts are more convenient to store.
- 【Design Unique】Strengthen the thickening lock: one piece of laminated film, strong bearing capacity; Safety lock design: It can be equipped with a small lock for safer; ripple handle: non-slip...
Portable toolbox buyer’s guide
One of the most important factors to consider when buying a portable toolbox to hold your tools and DIY gear is the amount of storage space they offer.
A range of sizes is available, from small hand-held toolboxes for carrying the essential tools you use most often, to larger, suitcase-on-a-trolley-style modular portable toolboxes for carrying every tool you own.
The Stanley STST1-80151 Essential Rolling Workshop is a perfect example of a well-designed modular toolbox fit for working at home or onsite. It’s about the size of a small suitcase and made up of three stackable and detachable compartments.
- 3 Tier Workshop
- Interchangeable module design
- 18'' Top Toolbox with heavy duty metal latches
The top one is a basic toolbox. It’s ideal for storing essential DIY tools so you can grab it and get on with the job. Under that is a shelf unit with a carrying handle for storing more tools. And at the bottom another compartment for storing the big boys (such as your cordless drill, sander etc).
The bottom section has 7” wheels attached to it so the whole lot can be moved from one place to another.
Important factors to consider when buying the best portable toolbox for you
- Space – You’ll want to buy a toolbox that’s large enough for all the tools you want to store. Especially if you’re planning on using it to store larger tools such as a drill, jigsaw or sander.
- Weight – Most toolboxes are fairly strong but there will come a tipping point if you store too many weighty items in a box that’s not designed to carry so much weight.
- Ease of Use – As well as storing your tools, you’ll want a toolbox that’s easy to use and doesn’t make your work uncomfortable, right?
- Lockable – Not a feature everyone looks for and it may not be a deal-breaker, but it’s certainly good to have.
- Portability – A good portable toolbox should be easily moveable from one place to another. Whether than means a comfortable carrying handle or easy-rolling wheels.
- Weatherproof – Essential consideration if you work outdoors or plan on doing outdoor DIY. Look for a toolbox that keeps out moisture.
- Materials – A well-made toolbox will last for you years and withstand the knocks and scrapes it’s bound to receive.
- Price – This shouldn’t be a deciding factor but it often is. As I always say, buy the best you can afford right now as you’ll save money in the long-run.