On this page, you’ll find a list of 5 of the best portable toolboxes currently for sale on Amazon. The list is regularly and automatically updated with the items displayed in order of popularity, starting with the No1 bestseller.
- Complete mobile solution for large and small tools and accessories
- 19 Inch Detachable plastic tool box with drawer
- Aluminium telescopic handle allows easy manoeuvrability
- Detachable top tool box unit with small parts storage on top
- Bottom bin with large 7 inches wheels
- Pull handle on top allows to conveniently manoeuvre
- Large 50 L storage capacity
- V-Groove in lid designed for cutting timber and pipework
- Long telescopic handle
- Waterproof storage solution (rated IP53)
- All round water seal ensures safe and dry storage
- Structural foam plastic construction for extra strength
- Polycarbonate lid
- Removable tote tray
- Secure locking facility with strong metal latches
Portable toolbox buyer’s guide
One of the most important factors to consider when buying a portable toolbox to hold your tools and DIY gear is the amount of storage space they offer.
A range of sizes is available, from small hand-held toolboxes for carrying the essential tools you use most often, to larger, suitcase-on-a-trolley-style modular portable toolboxes for carrying every tool you own.
The Stanley STST1-80151 Essential Rolling Workshop is a perfect example of a well-designed modular toolbox fit for working at home or onsite. It’s about the size of a small suitcase and made up of three stackable and detachable compartments.
- 3 Tier Workshop
- Interchangeable module design
- 18'' Top Toolbox with heavy duty metal latches
The top one is a basic toolbox. It’s ideal for storing essential DIY tools so you can grab it and get on with the job. Under that is a shelf unit with a carrying handle for storing more tools. And at the bottom another compartment for storing the big boys (such as your cordless drill, sander etc).
The bottom section has 7” wheels attached to it so the whole lot can be moved from one place to another.
Important factors to consider when buying the best portable toolbox for you
- Space – You’ll want to buy a toolbox that’s large enough for all the tools you want to store. Especially if you’re planning on using it to store larger tools such as a drill, jigsaw or sander.
- Weight – Most toolboxes are fairly strong but there will come a tipping point if you store too many weighty items in a box that’s not designed to carry so much weight.
- Ease of Use – As well as storing your tools, you’ll want a toolbox that’s easy to use and doesn’t make your work uncomfortable, right?
- Lockable – Not a feature everyone looks for and it may not be a deal-breaker, but it’s certainly good to have.
- Portability – A good portable toolbox should be easily moveable from one place to another. Whether than means a comfortable carrying handle or easy-rolling wheels.
- Weatherproof – Essential consideration if you work outdoors or plan on doing outdoor DIY. Look for a toolbox that keeps out moisture.
- Materials – A well-made toolbox will last for you years and withstand the knocks and scrapes it’s bound to receive.
- Price – This shouldn’t be a deciding factor but it often is. As I always say, buy the best you can afford right now as you’ll save money in the long-run.