Roof gutters need to be cleaned out and in good condition to do the job they were designed for, namely redirecting water from your roof to a drain. If the gutter is blocked or damaged water can build up and / or overflow down walls creating a risk of damp occurring in your property.
Fortunately replacing PVC gutters and down pipes is not too difficult to do, and can be done with a handful of tools a power / battery hammer drill and an extension ladder (See How to install section).
There is a wide range of gutter profile and fittings available in most DIY stores (See diagrams at bottom of this page). For the purpose of this post I am using B & Q trade names as a description of the various parts to help you decide which profile of gutter you would prefer to install. B & Q stock half round, Flowline and Squareline gutters manufactured by Marley, personally I prefer the more modern ‘look’ of the Squareline gutter system but you may have to use the half round or Flowline profile to match any existing gutters on your property. All types of gutter come in various widths, the half round gutter also comes in a Deepflow profile which is more suitable for collecting larger volumes of water from your house roof.
The majority of gutters come in lengths of 2, 3 and 4 metre lengths, they are available in Brown, Black, White and Grey and there is a multitude of fittings, connectors and clips to suit your gutter installation as listed below :-
- Gutter angles set at 45 or 90 degrees, also 135 degrees for the Squarline profile
- Gutter adapters which enable half round to Flowline or Squareline profile gutters to be connected together
- End cap (Stop end)
- Gutter connectors (Union)
- Stop end and running gutter outlets (Fittings to enable the gutter to connect to the down pipe)
- Fascia clips and brackets for the gutter
Downpipes are available in lengths of between 2.5 and 4 metres, there are as with the gutters various fittings to achieve the direction and angle you may require in order to reach the drain as listed below :-
- Down pipe shoe
- Offset bends set at 92.5 and 112.5 degrees
- Fascia and half round clips
- Pipe branch set at 112.5 degrees
There are also drain covers and gutter guards to help stop the gutter and drains from becoming blocked with leaves, moss and other debris.