This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service from an affiliate such as Amazon after clicking a link on this website, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
If you only have one hammer in your DIY toolbox, make it a claw hammer. The reason for this is its versatility. The head of a claw hammer is smooth on one side and contains a type of claw on the other side.
DIYers typically use a hammer for knocking-in nails, but sometimes nails don’t go in straight and need pulling out again. This is where the claw side of a claw hammer comes into its own. If you need to pull out a wonky nail or remove a rusty one from a piece of wood, the claw side will do the job with ease.
Claw hammers are also useful for light demolition work such as breaking up old furniture.
A good quality claw hammer will last for years, so always spend as much as you can on one.
Check out our guide on the different types of hammer to see what else you might need to add to your toolkit.
What to look for when buying a claw hammer
Claw hammer manufacturers traditionally market their products by weight in ounces. With heavier hammers providing more power when working with nails and performing light demolitions. Claw hammers are typically available in the following weights:
It’s worth noting that this is the weight of the head section and not the overall weight of the item.
If you only need one hammer for general DIY tasks, choose the middle weight – 16oz.
What materials are claw hammers made from?
Manufacturers typically make claw hammers from forged steel or fibreglass, with a rubber or bi-material grip handle.
You can still buy wooden-handled claw hammers. And while they look smart, there’s more chance of the handle breaking after long periods of use, which makes them a less popular choice these days.
Claw hammer brands include:
- Blue Spot Tools
Best selling and popular claw hammers
Below, you’ll find a list of 5 of the best selling and popular claw hammers available over on Amazon UK.
- Fiberglass core for strength and durability
- Improved overstrike protection for longer life
- Enhanced bi-material grip
- FIBREGLASS CORE - Ideal for strength and long term durability. Dampens the power of the strike reducing the stress on wrist and hands.
- TPR COMFORT GRIP COVER - Made for those that hammer for long periods. Softer to the touch than the average hammer and the TPR ensures a grippy hold.
- NAIL REMOVAL CLAW - Designed for those nails that don't quite go in right.
- Curved claw head
- Made from forged, heat treated steel
- Oval tubular steel shaft
- Solid forged from one piece of American Steel for ultimate durability and strength
- Curved claw leverage for added torque when pulling and prying nails or boards
- Smooth faced hammer head, perfect for interior and finish work
- Extra strong high grade carbon steel
- Soft rubber grip
- Magnetized nail holder