This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service from an affiliate such as Amazon after clicking a link on this website, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for a cordless power drill but don’t know which one to go for? There are so many models to choose from it’s enough to make your head spin.
To save you time and help you decide, we’ve looked at some of the machines available on Amazon.co.uk and put together this list of 9 of the best selling and popular cordless drills.
Before you buy, especially if you can’t decide between buying a corded or cordless drill, you might want to check out our drill buying guide. You might also want to check look at our other page, which is similar to this one, on the best corded power drills.
Best Cordless Power Drills
- The PSB 1800 LI-2 cordless combi drill – power and comfort for drilling and screwdriving operations
- Optimum power for every task: 3-in-1 system that can be used for screwdriving, drilling and impact drilling. It also features 20 torque settings for screwdriving in different materials
- Suitable for different materials: For drilling and screwdriving in wood and metal or impact drilling in masonry
- Easy screw and drill bit changes: The cordless combi drill features a 10 mm shank and a single-sleeve drill chuck
- Power for ALL 18 V: The battery supplied is compatible with all tools within the green Bosch Home & Garden 18 volt system
- 18V Cordless Combi Drill ideal for drilling in masonry, wood, plastic and metal, as well as driving screws
- A ratcheting chuck improves bit grip strength, making this tool compatible with all standard drilling and screwdriving bits up to 13mm
- A 2-speed gearbox delivers 500/1800rpm and up to 50Nm of torque to match different materials and applications
- 24 torque settings help to drive screws flush every time for a perfect finish
- Includes 2x Ryobi ONE+ 1.5Ah batteries and a charger, compatible with over 100 other Ryobi one+ tools for the home and garden
- POWERFUL & VERSATILE: Compact Li-ion 18V combi DIY drill with an improved 2 speed gearbox - easily drills through wood, metal and other materials, supplied with a 13 piece accessory kit and a handy...
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Our innovative, compact electric cordless drill features an LED work light to help you work in hard to see spaces and a soft grip handle to maximise handling comfort and lessen...
- ERGONOMIC: This 18V cordless drill set gives you variable speed control and unique electric safety brake system - this, combined with 19 torque settings, enables smooth drilling into a variety of...
- EASY TO USE: Change drill bits easily and alternate between a choice of 2 gears (for high and low speed drilling & driving - first gear provides greater torque and control and second gear provides...
- RECHARGEABLE: The Li-ion battery pack provides a high-power output level and enables a substantial number of charging cycles. Quick-change action on the spring-loaded battery pack allows you to...
- LI-ION POWER: The Terratek 18V/20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Set is supplied with a powerful Li-ion battery which results in having no memory effect, no self-discharge and always ready for use....
- FLEXIBLE: Get greater control over your li-ion cordless screwdriver with 16 different torque settings available to use with, you will always be able to find the perfect setting for whatever material,...
- ERGONOMIC: The 18V/20V Cordless Drill offers both power and control with its soft grip, ergonomic design, 0.8 - 10mm keyless chuck and a light weight of only 1.0 Kg. This electric screwdriver is more...
- VERSATILE: Included in the Cordless Drill Set is a 13 piece kit that contains 1x magnet holder, 6x drill bits, 2x Pozi-drive screwdriver attachments, 2x Phillips screwdriver attachments and 2x slotted...
- 2 YEAR GUARANTEE: For your peace of mind we offer a 24 month guarantee on our Terratek 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Set with 13pc Drill Bit Kit (Upgraded Model)
- A compact two gear combi drill for all screw driving, drilling and hammer drilling into wood, metal and masonry
- All metal motor and gearbox that deliver 21 000 BPM for hammer drilling in masonry applications and 0 - 1 400 RPM variable speed for drilling and screw driving applications
- 10 torque setting for precise screw driving into various materials and the variable speed function for control in a range of applications
- Keyless chuck for fast and easy bits changes with a double ended screwdriver bit included so you can start your projects straight away
- Hardwearing kit box to store and transport the tool
- The Universal tools from Bosch – versatile and strong with intelligent solutions for bigger projects
- Right amount of power for every task: 3-in1 that can be used for screwing, drilling and impact drilling. It also features 20 torque settings for screwing in different materials (Max. Torque: 34 Nm)
- Versatile use in different materials: Drilling and screw driving in wood and metal or impact drilling in masonry
- Easy screw and drill bit changes: The cordless impact drill features 10 mm shank and a single-sleeve drill chuck
- Scope of supply: UniversalImpact 18 V, 1x 1.5 Ah battery, charger AL 1810 CV, carrying case
- LI-ION POWER: The Mylek 18V/20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Set is supplied with a powerful Li-ion battery and UK Charger which peaks at 20V from charge for that extra first use of power before...
- FEATURE PACKED: The Mylek Cordless Drill is equipped with a variable control trigger which can be controlled up to a no load speed of 700rpm and 20Nm in power. Forward and reverse switch that enables...
- COMFORT IN MIND: The Mylek Cordless Drill is designed with comfort in mind. Built in soft grip, 0.8 - 10mm quick change keyless chuck, only 1.0 Kg in weight, Anti Shock body protection moulding. All...
- FLEXIBLE CONTROL: The Mylek Cordless Drill is balanced to offer you perfect control for the task in hand, with its 18 + 1 available torque selections giving you perfect control for materials like...
- ADDED EXTRAS & 2 YEAR WARRANTY: The Mylek Cordless Drill Includes a 13 piece kit that contains 1 x magnet bit holder, 6 x drill bits, 2 x Pozi-drive screwdriver attachments, 2 x Phillips screwdriver...
- ◆ 2 Batteries & Quick Charge: Cordless drill driver comes with 2 1500mAh Lithium-ion battery makes it always ready to use without restriction & 1 hour quick battery recharge allows for fast full...
- ◆ 2-speed cordless drill: The cordless drill equipped with 2-speed adjustment at 0-350 / 0-1350 rpm. Variable speed pressure trigger allows you to control drilling speed ● Low speed (0-350 RPM) is...
- ◆ 18-30Nm Torque & 15 + 1 Adjustment: Cordless drill driver gives you more than 15 options to fine tune torque for most daily needs; ☛Rotate the circle of the drill head to change speed, The...
- ◆ Ergonomic Design & Personality: ✔Drill driver provides the user with a smooth and comfortable and balanced grip ✔LED work light helps to work in dark places ✔Rotate switch allows you to...
- ◆ 100Pcs Rich Accessories: 1 × GOXAWEE Cordless Drill Driver, 2 × Rechargeable Battery, 1 × Quick Charger, 1 × Flexible Shaft (250mm), 1 × Drill Brush, 9 × Socket Wrench, 6 × Screwdriver...
- 【18+3 Clutch, 2-Variable Speed & 300In-lb Torque】WAKYME 12.6V cordless drill/driver, with 18 adjustable clutch settings, variable pressure trigger (2-speed: 0-350RPM,0-1500RPM) provide accurate...
- 【3/8 Keyless Chuck & Forward/Reserve Control】This compact drill driver has a large 3/8’’(10mm) keyless chuck which provides an automatic spindle lock that enables one-hand changing with...
- 【Best repair partner】Our drill tool set is designed with all-copper double bearing gear motor: 300In-lb torque max provides strong load capacity. No-load speed 19000-23000rpm powerful impact drill...
- 【2 Batteries & Fast charger】This cordless drill driver came with 2pcs 1500mAh Li-ion Batteries and 1-2H fast charger that can use for strong and steady power and an endurable run time. This drill...
- 【LED light & Ergonomic Handshake】12.6V class 1.5AH lithium ion drill driver with front LED light, suitable for dark environment or dark corners. A soft grip handle to maximise handling comfort and...
What to consider when buying a cordless drill
- The higher the voltage, the more powerful the drill. Most home DIYers will get adequate service from an 18v machine, but if you’re in the trade, you should choose a 24v or higher model. For light work, a 12v machine is fine.
- Battery capacity is rated using an Ah measurement. Ah stands for ampere hour or amp-hour. The higher the Ah number, the more powerful the battery (and weightier too!).
- How many batteries do you need? In an ideal world, you’ll want to have at least two batteries with one always fully charged and ready to take over if the one you’re using goes flat.
- Lithium-ion batteries are used in most cordless drills these days. They’re lightweight, more powerful than their older counterparts and they’re safer for the environment. You can charge a lithium-ion battery whenever you want (you don’t have to wait for it to go flat) and there’s no self-discharge (loss of stored charge) when it hasn’t been used for a long time.
- Brushless motors. Drills built with brushless motors tend to last longer, provide better torque control and faster speeds due to reduced friction and heat build-up.
- Weight. Always take into consideration the weight of the drill before you buy.
How to choose the best type of drill for you
Are you confused by the various types of drill on the market? In this short drill buying guide, we’ll dig a little deeper into your choices. You’ll also find some helpful tips and advice on how to choose the best drill for you.
How will you use your drill?
Knowing how you’ll use your drill helps focus your options.
For light DIY jobs around the house, such as hanging pictures, putting up shelves and building flatpack furniture, a drill driver is best. They’re used for drilling into different kinds of material such as wood and metal and for driving screws. They’re so much easier to use compared to traditional, manual screwdrivers, and they get the job done quicker!
For drilling into concrete or brickwork, you’ll need a combi drill with hammer function or a hammer drill. A drill driver doesn’t have the power to handle this type of DIY work.
That’s just a quick overview. Keep reading. We’re about to go into more detail.
4 types of electric power drill currently on the market
An electric power drill typically falls into one of the following categories:
- Combi drill
- Drill driver
- Impact driver
- Hammer drill
A combi (combination) drill is a great all-rounder. You use it for drilling into wood or metal and for driving screws. And when you switch to the hammer action, you can use it for drilling into concrete and masonry.
Whatever material you’re drilling into, always make sure you’re using the correct drill bit.
Pros of combi drills
- A versatile machine with the ability to drill into wood, metal, masonry and concrete
- Can be used as a standard drill, hammer drill or impact driver
- A wide range of choices with prices to fit every pocket
Cons of combi drills
- Lower torque and speed compared to impact drivers when driving screws
- Heavier and bulkier than other types of drill
Drill drivers don’t have the power or versatility of the combi drill. They’re a good choice for drilling into wood and metal and for driving screws. But they don’t have the power to tackle concrete or brickwork.
For drilling into brick walls or concrete posts, the drill driver is the wrong choice. For light DIY jobs around the home, it’s at the top of the list.
Pros of drill drivers
- Typically cheaper than combi drills
- Use on metal and wood
- Doubles up as a powerful and efficient screwdriver
Cons of drill drivers
- Not suitable for heavy work such as drilling into masonry
- Not as strong as a combi drill
Impact drivers add a bit of clout when needed. They’re high torque machines designed to do one job only – drive screws. Which they do faster and easier than any machine currently on the market.
With that said, you can use them for drilling but you’ll need a set of hex shank drill bits to match the chuck of the typical impact driver.
Pros of impact drivers
- Ideal for high torque applications
- Awesome screwdriver
- Compact design so they can get into tight spaces
Cons of impact drivers
- Not suitable for drilling masonry
- Not as versatile as combi drills or drill drivers
Hammer drills are used for drilling into brickwork, stone and concrete. They use a hammering action to provide rapid and powerful blows to the material’s surface. With the proper machine and correct masonry bit, you’ll drill a hole in no time.
Pros of hammer drills
- Perfect for drilling into brickwork, stone and concrete
Cons of hammer drills
- Not designed to be used on wood or metal
- Not as versatile as a combi drill or drill driver
- Bulkier and heavier than other types of drill
Which is the right power drill for you?
When you’re buying a drill, always shop around for bargains. There are plenty to be had if you’re in the right place at the right time. Choose a machine that matches the kind of DIY work you do, and always spend as much as you can afford at the time.