Spirit levels are used for checking if a surface is perfectly vertical or horizontal. Or in some cases (such as laying a patio or decking that requires adequate drainage), making sure they’re not. And as with most tools, if you avoid the cheap crap and buy a good quality product from a well-known manufacturer and look after it, it should last for years and years.
What you don’t want to do is use it for anything other than checking levels. You also want to avoid dropping it. Why? Because heavy knocks and misuse can affect the quality of its measuring ability. You also want to make sure you keep the base surface clean and free from dirt, as dirty surfaces can affect your spirit level’s ability to accurately measure level surfaces. Always wipe your spirit level clean before and after each use to ensure you’re getting accurate results.
Spirit levels tend to come in the following lengths (shorts ones can vary and you can buy longer ones too):
- 250mm / 10 inch / 0.25 metres
- 600mm / 2 foot / 0.6 metres
- 900mm / 3 foot / 0.9 metres
- 1200mm / 4 foot / 1.2 metres
Perhaps the most useful size for the home DIYer’s toolkit is the 600mm version.
To check the quality of a spirit level you need to check the bubble inside the vial. Ideally, the bubble should sit tightly between the two lines when it’s sitting on a perfectly flat surface. If it isn’t the readings will be wrong.
Below you’ll find a 10 of the best selling spirit levels on Amazon right now. This list automatically updates.
- High impact shock proof level
- Aluminium frame and shock resistant rubber ends
- V-shaped metal groove ideal on cylindrical surfaces
- High visibility vials: Horizontal, vertical and 45 degrees
- Protective end caps
- Hanging holes for storage
- 45 degrees, 90 degrees and 180 degrees vials
- 50 x 20 mm box section
- Accurate to 1 mm/m
- Designed for easy readability
- Made from high impact ABS plastic
- Designed to be easy-to-handle
- Length: 60cm
- Ideal for use on finished surfaces (non-marking) measuring scale for multi tasks
- 3 in 1 Laser Levels - Combines a fine-tuned tape measure, a triple-positioned leveling bubble and a NEW laser level to provide maximum accurate measurement results.
- 3 Laser Projection Modes: Horizontal line, vertical line and cross-hair line. Laser nozzle can be adjusted.
- Measuring Tape - 8ft measure tape that includes imperial and metric measures, with graduations down to 1/32" and 1mm.
- Bubble with LED Light - Vertical and two- way horizontal level bubble with led light. Could be use at dark without other light.
- Works Anywhere - Suitable for a variety of level and accurate measurement, such as hang shelves and cabinets, tiles and picture frames with accuracy.
- Might receive the product with/without Xtreme on it but both are same.
- Solid block vials provide best-in-class accuracy 0.5mm/m
- Magnified centre vial for improved all round visibility
- Rotating vial
- V shaped metal grove for use on pipes
- Bi-material hand grips and rock solid box-beam construction
- 20% vial magnification for visibility and rubber end caps for protection and durability
- Dual-machined leveling surfaces for maximum accuracy
- Accuracy: +/-0.5 mm/m in all eight orientations
- Length: 120 cm/48 inch and 10 years warranty
- 450mm (18") Alloy spirit level
- Manufactured from lightweight aluminium
- Three vials that measure both horizontally and vertically
- Plastic end caps and hanging hole included
- 3 vials
- (H x W) 53 x 24 mm
- Adjustable vial
- Polished measurement surface
- Measurement accuracy 0.5 mm/m
- Length: 100cm
- Measuring accuracy +/- 1.0 mm/m in normal position
- Ultimate strength
- Shock absorbing end caps for long life
- Dual bi-material hand grips ideal for carrying and vertical levelling
- Improved vial view for ease of use
- Rule gauge for easy of measuring